Thursday, March 23, 2006

Theatres' anyone ???



I don't remember when exactly ... but it was way back in my school days that I decided not to watch movies in Theaters !! (before this, I remember one of my uncles "M" visited us often and we would end up going to "Saraswathi" theatre to watch movies, 2nd show atleast 3 times a month). Note, I decided to not watch movies in theatres alone ... I did watch quite a few of them on TV and video cassttes. When I took the decision, I wasn't sure how many days I could stick to it.... I assured myself that only the initial days would be hard ! But to my surprise, I never for once felt I missed the theatre! There were several occasions when my parents insisted I join them for the movie ..... but I was adamant ! I just didn't like watching in theatres ! My sister hated this decision of mine most, coz it meant that she had to give up theatres too. (you see, when I could study... so could she, reasoned my parents) That was only for a while ... soon she learnt to convince my parents. Then came Hum Aap ke Hai Kaun .... the biggest hit at the time with Didi tera devar dewaana almost being the National Anthem ! I challenged myself to never watch this movie in theatre. (I watched this movie just 3 years back ... and no ... I still did not break my challenge .... I watched it on DVD).
Then Engg college happened ... I resisted going to theatre in the first year. But after my third semester exams, all my friends planned for a movie and then a lunch out. It was almost customary in our college to go to a movie after the exmas. Though not very keen I went with my classmates to a disastrous movie "Yess Boss" (ok ... I know it was a superhit ... and there are many who liked this movie, including my sister). That was perhaps my first movie in theatre after almost 7 years !!! By now, I didn't have to make a consious effort to resist the theatre .... it came naturally to me and it has struck with me till date. We went to watch movie every single year after the exams during Engg .... but I don't quite remember enjoying any of those movies. (though after our Final year exams .... we went to "Balmuri" and Dhaba .... no movie in theatre ... yeppie !!)
It would have been disappointing to my better half he were to be a movie buff who enjoyed watching movies in theatres .... turns out, he is as much disinterested in watching movies in theatres as me (if not more)! Its not that we hate theatres ... but we both are not very keen either. For 5 years of our stay in the US together, we have watched 4 movies in theatres ( Shaapa, Minority Report, Lagaan, Khaki). But we have watched quite a few movies in DVDs :))

3 comments:

Shyam said...

your list of 4 movies watched starts with 'shaapa'!!! That is why you dislike going to theatres :D

But, watching movies at home is lot more comfortable than going to theatres.

Unknown said...

You missed that the point that you watched Khaki in a group. Ha ha.

Interestingly, the screen size for movies is decreasing - from big screens to tv sets to iPods!

PRIDERA said...

Not just Khaki Roshan .... Minority report as well was with friends. So I guess we(just the two of us as a couple) have watched just Shaapa and Lagaan, of which Shaapa was a shaapa (curse) indeed and Lagaan quite enjoyable.

Shyam, pls note that Shaapa was the first movie after marriage. Perhaps it discouraged us from going to theatres ... but we eventually ventured Lagaan, which we thoroughly enjoyed ! But that did not bring us anywhere near theatre until Khaki happened :)