Thursday, March 30, 2006

Means of transport

As a child my amma taught me the various means of transport such as Bus, train, Car, Boat, Aeroplane etc. My various job locations in the US has given me an opportunity to check out most of these !
With the exception of my first job in the US, I have spent atleast 2-3 hours in just commuting every single working day ! THe office of my first job was just 2 blocks from my house. I still remember the day when my manager called me to let me know I had to get started with this job. He asked me where I lived, when I gave him details about my residence, he said, come out of your house and the big building you see near the Safeway is your office !! I enjoyed the benefits of staying close to work for a while ! But I never really realised how lucky I was until my next job happened.
I had to commute to Marin County, which was 55 miles from my house. I would not let the commute come in my way of a nice job opportunity.... so I decided to take it up. For the first months, my hubby dropped me by car to the ferry station by 7:10am. I took the 7:15am ferry and managed to reach office before 8:00am. My ferry ride was just surreal ! My commute back home was longer though, since I didn't have the luxury of carpooling with my hubby from the ferry station. I had to rush out of the ferry to catch the Muni and then the Caltrain. My office then shifted further north. No ferry went as much north. So I started driving that distance.
I next took up a project in the downtown. I thought my commute would be much better now. I could now take an express bus to the downtown and walk about 10 blocks to reach my office. My commute time reduced to just 45 mins one way.

Soon we moved to a differnt location and my commute is now back in the 55 miles range. I drive some days to work ... other days, I go back to the caltrain, muni route!
Commuting by public transport has helped me realise the value of time ! I am familiar with more suburbs than I could be by driving. I also manage to take a nap !
I wonder for how many more days I have a bonding with the public tranportation!

2 comments:

Shyam said...

Next generation reality is...
Virtual Presence. Each employee will be given a 3D camera. Work from HOME. With the camera around, it is as good as being at Office.

I think, commute will be a big thing to consider 20 years from now. Commute is essential ONLY when we need physical presence. Digital technology has become so advanced that voice, data and video can be exchanged around the globe in real-time.

PRIDERA said...

I am waiting for the Virtual presence era !