Thursday, March 09, 2006

Our first Television

This is my first blog and I am all enthusiastic about penning down my thoughts.
The idea of writing about my favorite serials on television as always floated in my mind ... but let me start with my first association with TV.
Those were the golden days of television (atleast for me) .... cable TV had not invaded our lives ... Doordarshan was the sole channel available. I still remember the day we got our first Television set home. It was the summer of 1985 and I had just written my last exam. We lived in a colony where neighbours were almost extended families and didn't mind us going to their house for watching TV. Mom wanted me back home 6:30pm in the evening so, I could say my prayers and get started with studies. Of course, thursdays were exceptions ... how could I miss "Giant Robert" at 7:00 :) But now , we had a TV set of our own. I was so ecstatic. Firstly, I didn't have to go to Rekha's house or Sanju's house for watching Giant Robert, but also, now I could see "Vikram aur Bethal" on sundays.... and if I could convince mom / dad, could get away with the movie too (though that was being too optimistic). Nevertheless, I was excited. We had bought a BPL color TV for Rs10000/-. That was an expensive model at the time. It was the first color TV in our neighbourhood. Rekha's house had Dyonara and Sanju's house had Uptron !! I also remember the first movie I watched on our TV ..."Driver Hanumanthu" ... though I remember very little about the movie itself.
Little did I know at that time, that the same TV would stick with us for the next 18 years .... it was a wonderful TV set. Had it not been for the cable TV and its varied channels, we might still be using the same TV set. We just had 12 channels and that was too less to satisfy the tastes of everyone in family. (Mom, dad, me, sis and grandma). Besides, the TV set didn't have a remote so the TV channels were changed as though it were a "Harmonium".
Now we have a flat screen TV with digital picture quality and surround sound ..... the technology may be better and so be the picture quality. But I miss my old TV.... afterall I had watched so many wonderful programs (will list out the same in a future blog) on that TV !!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to blogworld! Our Rs 10K BPL is still running even after 20 years.

PRIDERA said...

Lucky you .... coz you didn't have TV enthusiasts who used TV set to display their banging speed (in the process of changing channels)!!

Shyam said...

This blog reminds me of crying in a village fair because it was Thursday evening and I wanted to watch "The gaint robot".

Waiting for your list of programs ... Shall I start???? dus kadam. ha ha ha every morning. And then, keep fit!!!!!

PRIDERA said...

Hey Shyam,

I think I would go a few more days back .... back to the old days of Buniyaad and Nukkad :)