Tuesday, March 21, 2006

College festivals


College fests are always fun .... our college fest extended for a period of 4 days and was bustling with a lot of activities. The mornings were reserved for various competitions and evenings were for stage shows. It was so exciting to watch the talented bunch battle out for the prize. I thoroughly enjoyed the Mad ads and TDH competitions. There was no dearth of talent in any competition be it singing, quiz, or debate. I usually took part in film / classical singing and treasure hunt competition. I won singing competitions a couple of time as well ... I remember I had won a gift coupon from a local Eyecare stores worth Rs 300 / - (it was a lot of money for a student like me). I bought a pair of dark glasses for that amount. I hardly used them coz, my sister felt they were for the blind and often made fun of me when I wore them. A little later I was amazed that she would use the same every single day and even had the nerve to defend it as a great product which suited her !!!
I also remember in taking part in Collage competion in my first year .... treasure hunt was another event I admired .... we almost ended up the third spot ... damn we could not crack the last clue!!!
I participated in the musical evenings all 4 years ... there were auditions and only the lucky ones (read influential) got selected. I was kinda surprised when I got through as well .... I didn't know anyone in the band ... nevertheless, I got selected. The troup practised late hours, which used to always be a problem for localites like me. The hostel junta never complained and seem to like the schedule as well. This meant that folks like me ended up singing 1 -2 songs and others got to sing a lot many. There were some really talented folks in the troup ... wonder how many of them are still into music !!!
I sang Pehla Nasha (from Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar) the first year, Duniya (Rejeswari's album) the second year ... don't quite remember what I sang the third year ... Dance Dance (from Kasam paida karne wale ki .... yes, there is a movie in that name and Bappida songs are foot tapping) in my fourth year.
The college fest always ended with a Rock band on the last evening .... I am not sure why, but I never went to those ! The college fest was followed by 2 days of holidays !!
The best part of college fest was, we got away from lectures / labs for a whole week and had loads of fun !!!

2 comments:

Shyam said...

ha ha ha
nice one :)
those were the golden days. right???

PRIDERA said...

tell me about it ... I miss my college in Mysore