Saturday, March 25, 2006

My Culinary Skills ....


Today we had Croissant for breakfast but with an Indian touch. I happened to hit this idea by accident .... but yesterday we had Alu Gobi for dinner. This morning, I was too lazy to prepare breakfast so we decided to settle for Croissant. I had been almost 4 years since I had Croissant for breakfast. My tongue desired for something spicy and I couldn't obviously settle for a plain Criossant. So I decided to spice it up with Alu Gobi (my reasoning was when Iyengar Puffs tasted so good with potato curry .... croissant, which pretty much belongs to the same family would perhaps taste good as well.) I must say, it was one of the better breakfast I had in recent times :)

After a hearty breakfast, I was in deep thoughts, much appreciating my new discovery, "with just about 5 years of culinary experience .... not bad at all" I thought. I had never even prepared a decent Coffee / tea before marriage by my self. (Final year new year celebrations were an exception, when a group of us ventured into Poori and Chole ... but that story demands another blog in itself). My parents were too apprehensive about how I would manage everything by myself especially since I had to move miles away from them to US. My amma, took keen interest and wrote a lot of recipes in a neat diary and had given me. That served as my bible for the first few years of cooking. (I still refer to it when I prepare special dishes). A year back my parents visited us. They were very pleased with my culinary skills. I "passing Certificate" from my amma meant a lot to me .... I am riding high on confidence ever since.

These days, unless my energy is down, I really enjoy cooking. At times, I like experimenting new recipes as well .... sometimes they are good ... other times not as good. But I am not de-motivated. Amma will be proud of me.

1 comment:

Shyam said...

This morning, I was talking to one of my friends. My friend wants a blog by me on "My cuisine". The request was put to describe all the recipes I make.

This special blog will come soon :)

Coincidentally, your blog related to this topic is interesting :)