Thursday, March 23, 2006

Good bye tresses

For some reason, I feel uneasy getting a hair cut in the US. It is perhaps because you got to explain the salon lady every detail about the cut you want... added to it would be my limited knowledge in this area. I have always kept myself away from all the beauty care products .... have been least interested in any cosmetics (with the only exception of "Nivea"). By now you must have guessed that I am stuck with the same hair style as well for over 5 years now ! I always end up getting the same cut. This time I wanted to venture something new ... though I had my own doubts about it too. I was desparately hunting someone whom I didn't have to explain what cut suited me ... my mind told me that this time I try a "Desi" lady. So I started hunting for one ..... after some search in Sulekha and the yahoo directory, I could not find any satisfactory. Finally my sister suggested "XYZ Salon"..... I was not sure but wanted to trust my sister. My sister was gracious enough to take an appointment for me as well.
Before the appointment, I had to pick up my child from the day care ....I got struck at work and managed to pick my child jsut 5 mins before my appointment. So I decided to tag her along to the Salon. As soon as I saw the lady at the Salon, I felt uneasy ....I wasn't sure she would do a good job. But nevertheless, decided to go for it. The lady said, she would do just 2 types of cuts ... $15 and $17 .... now I was nervous .... and I told her to go for what she was good at. (I knew she would go with $17) In the meantime, my little one decided to explore the new place .... every now and then she came back to me to make sure I was there and would exclaim ..."Amma Hair cut .... Nange no cut". She kept saying Hi to a little girl who was tied to a stroller. The Salon lady kept addressing the little girl as "HE" and it was annoying .... the mother of the little girl never bothered to correct the Salon lady.
Then my little one followed another lady who was getting a hair wash and starting shouting "Aunty Nana" (meaning Aunty was taking bath) ... it was hilarious ! After a while my hair was done ... I was not too happy with her job and asked for some minor repairs (!!!!) I paid her $17 (as expected) and said Bye to the little girl in the stroller and asked her mom "How old is she?" to which the mom replied "11 months".... immediately the Salon lady interfered "First of all, its not a She ... its a HE ... and he is 11 months !!" The mother smiled ... with a sheepish look on my face, I smiled and walked out of the parlour. (gosh, I didn't correct the salon lady for refering to the child as HE...thankfully)

3 comments:

Shyam said...

ha ha ha.
I have a blog on my hair cut story:))

Unknown said...

Nice story! I think you just described how diapers could cause embarrassment to others :-)

Shruthi said...

Your daughter's comments were very cute :) - Amma hair cut, nange no cut, and Aunty snaana :)