Thursday, March 16, 2006

Early to bed and early to rise



I have always been an early bird (I am referring to "Early to rise" part of the above phrase) throughout my student life. The fact that I had to take the office bus as early as 6:40am in the morning just made sure I continued with my "Good Habit".... that was until a while ago in India. Since the time I moved to the bay area, I have always had to put up with long commute (except for my first job). I have had to leave home early to work .... which translated to me leaving work early as well. But my current job doesn't require me to get up as early. I have enough time for a decent breakfast and hot "Masala Chai"
These days I am having long days and I am just waiting to crash on my bed. Its been really cold for the past few weeks and my better half turns on the heater. This is not something I really like. Any of my close family members will vouch for that. I was the one who would wake within a split second of turning off the Fan knob. (they all still are to come to terms with the fact that I no longer turn on the fan). But hey, "Compromise is the key to successful marriage" (some elite people have said and I religiously believe in it). The fact that my little one has a bad cold is just shrinking my sleep time. Only yesterday, I went to bed early (10:30pm) and was woke up with a stuffy feeling because of the heater around 2:00am. I kept tossing myself for a while, and was about to catch some sleep and the little one cried aloud. My spouse put all efforts to put her back to sleep..... I didn't break a sweat, but hey I was awake. As soon as she was put back to her bed ... was up again ! It was my turn now to put her to sleep. I rocked her for a few minutes before she dozed off .....
By now it was already 3:20am and the heater was off too ... I hurried to my bed to catch up on my sleep .... but was woken up by the alarm. Damn ... it was already 5:30am and I had to catch the 6:45am train today. But that didn't prevent me from bargaining a few additional minutes of sleep .... of course I had to rush to the train station and made it just before the train arrived !
But I wonder ... what happened to my "Good Habits" .... only a little pondering and I realize .... I still have it ... except that the first part of the original phrase seem to now be my "Good Habit"
ps: Earlier I would sleep late and rise early (dozing with a book in hand is not sleeping ... officially switching off the lights is sleeping .... you see there is always a fear in your mind of being caught when you are dozing). Now I sleep early (no need to pretend :)) ... but prefer rising late. (I wake up early only on days I have to catch the train)

1 comment:

Shyam said...

nice one. I wrote a small note on my blog related to this topic.