Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Appreciation / Encouragement

I still remember the day my SSLC (10th std) results were announced. I had secured a good percentage (ok, I was a geek then) and my parents were really proud of me. Except for my third language score, I was myself quite satisfied with my percentage. Its almost customary in our family that once the results are announced, I would share it with my grand parents (luckily for me, they reside in Mysore as well) and get their blessings. So I went straight from the school (where I learnt about the results) to my grandparent's house. They were as much excited as well, as were my uncle, aunt and cousins who stayed with my grandparents. My uncle who had promised me a watch if I secured good percentage, did not forget his promise. He bought me a really good watch the very day. That was my first watch and my excitement knew no bounds.
Then I visited another uncle of mine (dodappa's house). They were really happy for me and my cousins U and L were in tears of joy when they learnt about my percentage. ("Anandabhaspa")My aunt, who has always generously gifted me anytime I visited them, bought me a gold ring in appreciation of my achievement.
I received several other token of appreciation from other uncles and aunts at that time. But the watch and the ring have remained very close to my heart. I still treasure them and do not share it with anyone.

As a young student, I really felt so happy and encouraged to get all these gifts from near and dear ones. Now, as a working professional I may be able to buy these items myself, but the excitement is no longer there. I excitement in receiving gifts has long faded away as well. But I still remember my happy moments when I got these gifts as a student. Its perhaps my turn now to encourage other students in my family and help them savor the precious moments.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You call an SSLC state rank 'a good percentage'? Yep, gifts are not valued by their price. They are invaluable.