Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Accident .... Emergency ... Action / No Action

2 days back, it was the birthday of my little one's friend. My little one so excited as if it were her own ... it just added to her excitement that the goodies bag she got had some cool toys for her ! Her favourite was a plastic whistle. I was playing with her and she accidentally tried to grab something and the whistle in her hand pierced my right eye. For a second, I was extremely scared and thought I was blind. After getting back to senses, I realised the pain and constant tearing. All I wanted to do was be sure I wasn't blind. I tried to open my eyes... but it was more difficult than I thought. With a lot of efforts, I finally opened my eyes and thanked my stars for being able to see.
Though my spouse insisted, we visit a doctor immediately since the tears never stopped and I couldn't open my eyes easily, I resisted the idea. Its a matter to time before the tears will stop I argued. But not the one to take it easy, my spouse dragged me to the Emergency room. (it was already 8:00pm ... so regular doctor check up was out of question). I always fear the emergency room visit especially after being there once in Las Vegas. The scene here was slighly different and less frightening. There were atleast 10 patients ahead of us, so it should take about an hour to 90mins we concluded. The wait here was very very exhausting, especially for my better half. The little was getting really restless since there was nothing which grabbed her attention there. A game of "Jute" would be a good bet she decided and started running around the place. After almost 90mins, we were called in for initial "Triage" where our details was verified and BP recorded. Then we were sent back to the waiting room again. We waited, and waited ... and still waited. There was no sign of any progress made. My query on how long it would take for my turn fell on deaf ears at the reception. By around 9:30pm, my sister and her husband joined us there. My little was hungry, frustrated, sleepy by now. So my spouse decided to head home, feed her and return back.
So, my waiting continued, this time with my sister and Brother-in-law for company. Finally around 10:00pm I was called inside. No one accompanied me. A male nurse practisioner led me to a hallway and wanted me to give an eye exam. I could see quite well with my left eye and read out the letters at a distance without any effort. But my right eye was still tearing and I said, it was hard for me to read. But he insisted that I read and I gave my best shot. I was taken to one of the beds and asked to rest there. I waited here for additional 45mins before the doctor examined me. She explained to me that there were some scratches on the cornea and then prescribled some medication. She also wanted me to consult an opthamologist. But she assured me that there was no cause of concern.
The next day I got my eye thoroughly examined and thankfully there was nothing seriously wrong.
Now I am doing just fine except that my vision is slightly blurred due to the medication. (well I am able to write this blog, so I must be doing more than just fine)
I will never forget the long wait in the emergency room. It was quite an experience.

5 comments:

Shruthi said...

Whew!! Glad you are ok!

PRIDERA said...

Shruthi,
Doing just fine ... thanks for the concern.

Anu said...

Ohh, it is two days since your experience.... hope you are ok now!?

PRIDERA said...

Hi Anu,
Doing ok now .. I am just enjoying the perks of parenting !

Shyam said...

Hope you are ok now...