Thursday, June 01, 2006

Kaale Ghane Baalon ka raaz

One of the first complaints you hear from people who travel to the US from India is about their hair fall problem. So far, I haven't met anyone who has said they have not faced this problem. Its gotten so worse for me that I pity myself when I don't see my lustrous hair that I had back home in India.
My mom took extra effort to take care of my hair. When I worked in Bangalore for sometime, my aunt took the same care too. My mom ensured I washed my hair with any one of the following:
  • Hibiscus leaves paste
  • Mehendi
  • Castor Oil / Sikakai
  • Methi soaked and ground as a fine paste

Shampoo was taboo .... I don't ever remember using shampoo in India. It felt so refreshing so get a hot oil head massage and then wash it with "Hande water". I really miss that now. These days all the above are unknown territory to me ... all I know is Shampoo. The result is quite evident ... a thin strand of lack lustre hair :(

Sorry mom .... your efforts are wasted !

3 comments:

Shyam said...

Put 'hande' in your bathroom here :).

Anu said...

We have a lot in common! I just lovvve hande ole snana, the aroma in the bathroom..... A few years ago when my parents decided to give the house a facelift, they installed solar heaters and decided to remove the hande. One day I went in for snana announcing that it would be my last hande snana. My father was so moved, he decided to leave the hande alone. Now, whenever I go home, I enjoy the snana, and my son and I enjoy lighting and managing the fire as well.
The comments page is having some problem today, taking a long time, so will leave comments for all posts here.
Firstly, All the best with your new job.
Secondly, nice to read about your holiday. Where are the sunset photos? Do put them up.

PRIDERA said...

Shyam,
I wish I could put a hande in our bathroom here :(

Anu,
Glad your parents changed their minds and did not go with the solar heaters. Hande is luxury especially if you are dripping with "Haralenne" ! :)
I will post the pics soon :)