Monday, June 19, 2006

Happy Father's Day

Last friday, during my long drive to office, I was listening to this radio station where people were calling in to share the best advise they ever got from their dad. Some of them very hilarious while others were sensitive and cute. One particular advise that I really liked was "If you want to do stupid things, be prepared to be strong" ... isn't that a cool advise. As expected, I drove down my memory lane, reminding myself of all the cool advises I got from my dad and all the precious time spent with him. In our house, mom has been a more strict parent than dad ... but then dad always supported mom when she tried to dicipline us. Those were rare occanions where dad actually had to raise his voice to straighten me. He would say he stored a "Buddhi Kolu" in the attic and that he would not hesitate to use it if required ... those magic words would somehow work and all the tantrums would be given up. Dad also took keen interest in ensuring that I recited my "Bayi Paatha" every day. The bayi paatha included rhythmic recital of 12 months (Hindu calendar and English calendar), 7 days of week(Kannada and English), Lunar days (Padya, Bedige, Tadige etc), 60 samvatsaras and the constellation and stars in Kannada (Ashwini, Bharani... etc and Mesha, Vrishabha, Mithuna etc). This would be followed by a quiz of math tables. Dad would ask 16 * 8 and I had to come up with the answer immediately ... even a slight delay would not be acceptable and I'd have to write the tables backwards from 2 to 20 that day. This backward writing of tables stayed with me through my engineering days. Whenever I got a slate and chalk (rather "balapa") , I would write down the tables. (yes, I used slate and chalk through out my student days .... it was my kinder garden slate and I refused to give it up ) Dad also was very innovative in generating interest in Maths. Atleast 6 hours a week was reserved for maths and it was not just textual. Even today, if I solve a problem / puzzle I owe to my dad. He introduced me to simple puzzles, problems very early and sharpen my ability. I must add that my grandpa who stayed with us, contributed quite a bit in this as well. Being a teacher himself, he knew the type to questions to be posed for a certain age group. As I grew older, I followed my dad / grandpa and would come up with tricky problems for my sister/ cousins. Dad always said that he could never get over the fact that he had scored 97 in maths in 10th and wanted me to complete the century. I am really glad I achieved it ... I can never forgot that day when the 10th results were out .. dad's face was beaming with pride. Through out my student life, I have participated in numerous competitions.... be it mono acting, singing, poem recitation, debate, elocution, story telling etc, Dad had a big role in this again. Initially dad wrote the script for most of the competitions (obviously not singing ... that was amma's department). Dad also introduced me to voice modulation. Being a good dramatist himself, he knew the importance of voice modulation. Slowly, I was asked to come up with a basic structure and dad would contribute to it. Now, my cousins ask me to help them in their competitions ... and I owe this to daddy. Another thing I am proud about my daddy is his memory. Last year, he visited us here in the US and was putting my daughter to bed. I was shocked to see him use his primary school poems as a lullaby for the little one. (for those of you who know, these poems, he remembers, Dharani Mandala Madhyadolage, Tunga teerada balagadeyalli, some quotes from Someshwara shataka etc) I have had many many more amazing learning experiences with dad and to put down all of it in a single blog is beyond my ability. All I want to say is "Thank You Daddy. Hope you had a wonderful father's day !"

2 comments:

Shyam said...

On Father's day, I told my dad to visit a Church!
kyon???? To go to that Father and wish him "Happy Father's day" antha :)

PRIDERA said...

ha ha ha