Friday, June 01, 2007

Met Yamaraj* .. well almost ... and didn't even realise ....

This incident happened about 2 weeks back. Like I have mentioned in my previous post, I have never had respite from long commute to work. I have been so much used to it now that it feels part of my lifestyle.
Anyways, I was returning home after an eventful day at work. Little did I know that bigger events were in store for me. It was only 5 mins since I had driven from the office parking lot ... I had just entered the freeway. The traffic was moving at a nice speed and I was glad. Suddenly I heard a honk.** I looked at my speedometer ... it reflected 70mph and was satisfied. The posted speed limit is 65mph and the traffic was more or less going at 70mph speed. I ignored the honk and thought it was for a fellow driver. Just then I noticed a huge truck approaching me in the next lane. The truck driver had a horrified look and pointed his hands at something. I could make out that we was trying to convey some message to me. I just couldn't understand and had a quizzed look on my face. I then noticed that the car following the truck was that of a Cop. Oh ! I concluded, the truck driver was trying to alert me of the approaching cop so I could drive at the posted speed !!! What a gentleman ... I thought.
But the next moment, I said " Hey, but no body in the US does that ... why would anyone alert you of the cop especially being followed by one ????" .. All these thoughts came to mind in less than 5 secs. Something didn't seem right ... I realised that I was loosing the control of my car. I was in the left most lane ***. So I cut lanes and had almost made it to the right most lane and my car started wobbling crazily. Thankfully the pullover (emergency parking) was right beside me and I pulled over. I parked my car and causiously came out. To my horror, the left rear wheel had been torn to pieces. The truck driver's indication now made perfect sense to me.
I knew I had to call AAA ~. I had never dealt with them before and so wanted to consult my husband about the steps involved. So I hoped into the car. As luck would have it, my cell phone lay dead there ... and I hadn't carried the charger. I cursed myself and spotted the next exit in about a miles' distance. The last thing to happen in this situation was for me to forget my purse. Thankfully I had carried it along. (yes, there are times when I have forgotten my purse as well ... thankfully I have gotten well)
Anyways, I locked my car and started walking towards the exit ...not knowing where it would lead me to.Just when I had walked some 30 yards, a biker stopped and asked if he could take a look. He was a typical American male ... tall well built man, clean shaven, in his early 50's (perhaps) He was not riding a Harley Davidson ... a BMW bike ... I noted the memorised the number plate and accepted his offer. He took a look at the torn tyre and asked if I carried a spare tyre. I think I have one I mumbled not so confidently. He said, "Well, I can change it for you, if you like" he offered. With not much choice, I agreed. He also lent me his cell phone, in case I wanted to call anyone. I appreciated his kind gesture and tried to reach my husband. As expected he did not receive my call. (he doesn't answer calls from unrecognised numbers) I could hear the rush in my blood, when he didn't pick up the phone. While the good samaritan was replacing my tire... another fella in a sports car stopped. He was another 20 something male with tattoes, bandana ... the typical rock star look. He offered help, when the older guy politely refused. With not many handy tools, the older gentleman somehow managed to replace my tyre. He cautioned me to drive slowly and not make sharp turns. He pointed to the replaced tyre and said "This is almost like a toy tyre ...don't take your chances. Drive carefully... not beyond 40mph". I thanked him for his help .. he drove away on his bike with a smile.
I shared my experience with my husband and family later that evening. They were all thankful I had managed to reach home safe. One of my colleagues at work remarked "You are so little ... anything could have happened to you, You were driving at a good speed ... bikers are all not always nice ... you just got lucky !!"
Only then did it dawn on me that I was indeed lucky ... I had almost met Yamaraj .. what if my car just went completely out of control and I could never pull over ... what if another car speeding from behind just hit me when I was chaging lanes ... the consequences could have been fatal. I thanked my stars !


My little dictionary for the uninitiated:
* : Yamaraj: God of death
**: Honking is not common in the US ... one honks only when a fellow driver makes a mistake.
*** : Left most is the fastest lane
~ : American Automobile Association. When insured, they provide road side assistance for any problem with the automobile

4 comments:

Shyam said...

Oh that was a horrifying incident. You were really lucky to get out of the trouble real easy.

PRIDERA said...

I know ... touch wood

Poppins said...

Boy o Boy... do somethin abt that commute already !.. I am scared for you ! Relieved that nothin worse happened..

PRIDERA said...

Thanks for the concern Poppins ... I am changing projects from monday... its gonna be Downtown SF. Agreed the commute is not going to be bad ... but somehow the down town calms me down and I just love the downtown feeling !
I guess "Work from home" habit is going to help... must wait and watch