Saturday, June 02, 2007

Beginning of a new chapter

Friday was my last day at work ... no I didn't quit my job. I am moving to a different project.
My last day was very relaxing in the office (as expected). I went around thanking everyone for their co-operation during my stay in the project. note: I only went and thanked those from whom I had truly benefitted. My colleagues surprised me with a lunch out. We went to a nice Chinese Restaurant.
I have to write about my almost embarassing incident at the restaurant. Being a vegetarian, I had very limited choice in that particular place. I ordered for Seczhwan Eggplant (pardon my spelling) and steamed rice. Now, we were a group of 5 and I was the only vegetarian. Anyways, the soup was served ... it had a decent taste. I was looking forward to my order. The waitress served a huge platter of eggplant and rice. The food was inviting and I digged into it greedily. As soon as I put the food into my mouth I realised it was super super hot and I could see fumes from my mouth. If I was at home, I would have just cleared my mouth immediately. Here I was, in the company of office colleagues, I managed to control my tears ... held my napkin close to my mouth and gasped a few breaths. Thankfully everyone was busy discussing about this new application at work. For the next 300secs, I did not dare to touch the food.
After lunch, I offered to buy them all coffee. We chatted our way back to desk discussing about my next work location, technology I'd be working etc. The next 2 hours, I just sat there staring at the monitor trying hard to stop myself from drowsing. This is when I realised, it hard when you have loads of work to do ... but it is harder when you have no work to do.
As soon as the clock ticked 3:00pm, I got up and handed over my laptop, my badge and other office supplies. Bid my final good bye to my manager and walked out of the office building recollecting my experiences in the project. The drive home was uneventful.
I now look forward to my new project ... hoping to learn new things and enjoy my experience at my new work place.

2 comments:

Sunita Venkatachalam said...

Yay !!! I am so happy for you. Good luck on the new project, and I like downtown too. So vibrant and all that. The commute is cut by half atleast plus you have the option of taking public transport ?

PRIDERA said...

Yep ... I am usually pepped up when I work in downtown ... hopefully this time it is no different. The only thing is there is going to be loads to work ... in fact I was working double projects for the past 2 weeks. I must learn to put my foot down on somethings ...