Monday, August 13, 2007

Chak De India


Last evening, hubby and I went out to the theatre to watch this movie after almost 4 years. Thanks to my family who offered to take care of my little one.
We both thoroughly enjoyed the movie … there were no surprises … the story was predictable all the way. But what made it interesting was its execution ... err… I mean the narration, crisp editing and excellent acting.
There was no mandatory song / dance routine … the songs played in the background and were quite enjoyable and added to the mood.
The storyline is very simple … its about a disgraced hockey player guiding the Indian women’s hockey team from ground zero to World championship. I knew that SRK played a disgraced hockey player … I knew he would lead the women’s hockey team to victory … what made the movie interesting was the journey taken along.
The so called “Non actresses” did not come across as actresses at all … err … I mean, they came across as relatable likable characters and never once I realized they were acting. Well, that should say quite some thing about their performance. And SRK … well, this was the second movie, in which I saw an actor in him !! Wow … what a performance… Even without being a remote fan of SRK, I could not help but appreciate his performance in this movie. Its appropriate to his age (he should stop running behind heroines mouthing silly dialogues) …. He takes up a risk with this role, clearly not going with his image and delivers a punched performance. I couldn’t imagine a better actor for this role.

For anyone, liking pure family entertainment, with no frills … I would recommend this movie any day! It just doesn’t hurt if you are a sports enthusiast … more so, if you have loved “Hockey” !!!

7 comments:

Sunita Venkatachalam said...

Oh goody ! I can go watch it then. I had sort of disowned SRK after KANK> Now I can come out of the bushes again :) (I was hiding because I am a so called fan!)

PRIDERA said...

You will definitely enjoy the movie if not for anything else... for SRK :)

Archana said...

Hmm - so far, I have read only good reviews about this movie - maybe I should go watch it :-)!

This movie is apparently flopping in the USA though it seems :-(!

PRIDERA said...

@Archana: Yeah ... I read that its not doing too good in USA ... but its a decent movie ... anyday better than Dhoom2 ... may be its my choice of movie

Usha said...

I felt exactly the same way about the film.
And you don't even have to love hockey to love the film.
I am disappointed that the film isn't doing well in the US - I suppose the diaspora likes to lap up karan Johar's candy floss and find these kind of films boring.

PRIDERA said...

So far, I am least impressed with KJ's movie ... still unable to understand what pulls the audience to his movies ... is it sheer escapism from reality ??? Perhaps ... but then I'd like to watch a movie like Andaz Apna Apna or Iqbal, for escapism :)

rajk said...

Your views almost exactly mirrored mine in this blog..Even I and hubby saw a movie in the theatre after ages...but we took our 4 yr old with us since he loved the songs of the movie.
I loved all the actors...and SRK was good again, after Swades...
I don't care whether it's a hit or flop. And if KJ's movies are hits, then I'll definitely go watch flops anyday!!