Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Dumb

I was expecting a call from my personal banker this morning. She had left a message for me that she would call me at a certain time today. So I knew, it was her when my phone rang. I thought she was quite punctual and admired her time keeping. I answered the phone with a low tone, saying "Hello"... she kept repeating "Hello, Hello..." and then hung on me after a few seconds. My low tone was so low, that she hadn't heard me .... I was dumb (pun intended). You see I have a sore throat so bad that I am hardly able to talk audibly. Its been so bad that I am using internal messaging to send across my comments / inputs for the office meetings that I am dialing into.
My daughter has learnt to reply back in the low tone (almost like whispering) as well. I don't want to think she is teasing me ... I will assume she is being patient with me. But I miss my voice when:
  • I read Dora books to my daughter. This morning the first thing she wanted to do as soon as she woke up was watch Dora on TV. Since we would not oblige on that demand, she settled for reading. My husband was too sleepy to read a book and so I gave in to her request. I must admit, I almost fell asleep reading the book in the most inaudible voice.
  • Attending office conferences
  • Talking to my sister over the phone.
  • Humming a few songs in my free time.
  • Answering my daughter's never ending questions of curiosity.
  • Discussing the day spent with my husband.
  • etc etc

I have taken some medicine... but it hasn't proved too helpful. I miss my voice ... I hope I am able to talk / sing / chat / discuss / shout soon .....

3 comments:

Anu said...

Hope your throat is much better today Pridera! Had missed out on a number of your posts, and read the previous two as well.
About the colours of the sunrise and also the pleasure of having one's own garden: I know just what you mean. Just this morning as I walked out of my bedroom I could see the rising sun through the kitchen window. In the foreground were the branches of a horse chestnut tree. What a lovely sight it made! We are right now in the midst of getting a house of our own, but we are already planning how the garden is going to be!

PRIDERA said...

You are right Anu ... I hadn't realised the pleasure of a owning a garden since i moved to US ... but when I saw the seeds germinate into mini plants ... I knew what I had missed for a while now. We simply love our patio garden. Of course with our busy schedule it is hard to maintain a huge garden ... but I think we can certainly maintain a small patio garden :)
Good luck with your house hunting. Its a very exciting peroid !

Anonymous said...

I hope you are feeling better now Pridera