Monday, August 14, 2006

Happy Independance Day

India celebrates her 59th Independance day and here is wishing every Indian a very Happy Independance day.
August 15th always occupied special place for me. I remember even now, the Independance day celebrations at school. When I was in primary school, I commanded the pledge "India is my country and all Indians are my brothers and sisters .... every day and it meant even more on the Independance day. Then there would be an inter school gathering where chosen few from each school would display their marching ability. Dignitaries from the colony we stayed in were invited as chief guests ... there would be sweet distribution followed by sports day activities. (for me sweet distribution was the culmination of the event. I never really took part in sports)
Middle school days involved me leading a pack of students in patriotic song rendition. There would also be some cultural dance... oh yes, I was a part of the school band (flute was my instrument of choice) and hence got to wear lovely band dress and a cap :) I simply loved the outfit and thought I looked "smart" in it.
My participation in high school involved in me giving either the welcome speech or a small speech reminding everyone of the sacrifices made for Independance by our fellow countrymen. I was also a part of the school orchestra and we sang lovely patriotic songs. Then again, there was attendance (no attendance in primary and middle school) followed by sweet distribution. Usually it was followed by sports day ... again of which I was never a part of :(
I remember attending Independance day in Engineering college only twice. The tricolor Indian flag was hoisted by the principal, followed by the National Anthem. What surprised me most was the mere 30-40 crowd. It was disappointing...
Anyways, there has and will always be a spirit in my heart riding high on the Independance day and I will continue to feel proud for being an INDIAN !!!
Before I conclude, I'd like to recollect some of the patriotic songs I have learnt:
  • Saare jahan se achcha (my all time favourite)
  • Hind Desh ke Nivasi
  • Jai Jan Bharat, janamana abhimata
  • Aakash ganga
  • Ye mere watan ke logon
  • Sara haddina bahu doorada varegu
  • Vishwa vinuthana vidhya chetana

many many more.......


3 comments:

Shyam said...

Kewl. Happy Independence day. I too remember the same things in School!

Those songs - super list. I started singing each one of them now.

We should sing them next time we meet.

PRIDERA said...

You are right Shyam ... it will be good fun to sing the songs together

Aparna said...

Thanks for posting the list of songs, do you remember the full songs, or any other songs that we sang in school days? they were inspirational songs and it would be lovely if we can teach the next generation the same.
some songs i remember are:
lab pe aati hai dua ban ke tamanna meri;
tu zinda hai tu zindagi ke geet par yakeen kar;